Planimetrie Culturali’s main purpose is the requalification of disused areas in Bologna through temporary interventions of what we call “cultural reclamation”.
There is a great number of abandoned industrial settlements in Bologna; most of the times, these are areas of urban decay, where public safety becomes hard to uphold.
Some of these places were originally part of the suburbs, but, following a rapid architectural development, they have now become part of the neighbourhoods that surround the city centre. Non-places which, according to our project, should be lived in and perceived as safe by the citizens. Wasted structures waiting to be used according to the features they can offer.
Planimetrie Culturali focuses on that lapse of time between the moment when the area falls into disuse and the beginning of the works for its reconversion, dismantling, transformation and so on.
Planimetrie Culturali is inherently nomadic. For example, after our first “cultural reclamation” in 2004 (ten months of hard work and great results at the ex Macello), the project moved on to another place as soon as the owner (the commune of Bologna and COGEI) reclaimed the area.
Our “cultural reclamation” is a new way of experiencing these abandoned places, with a wide range of productions and cultural events. Each requalification has, of course, to be adapted to each single area or building, taking into account its potentiality and according to the geographical positions these places occupy in the city and to their structural peculiarities.
GENERAL GOALS: more of Planimetrie Culturali for the city.
- Mapping of the city in order to identify disused spaces and areas;
- Study and analysis of each area so as to get an exhaustive picture of every situation;
- Starting the “cultural reclamation” of the chosen area, promoting cultural activities and events inside it.
SPECIFIC GOALS: recycle, re-use, recreate.
- Connecting to the neighbourhoood by being part of it, involving directly citizens of all ages (from communication to activities).
- Promoting a new culture based on energy saving, recycle and ecology.
- Workshops and laboratories for artistical activities setting (theatre, music, dancing, public relations, visual and cinematic arts)
- Hosting cultural events by introducing our laboratories final projects.
ACTIONS, TIMES AND METHODS: working on “waste” to optimize it.
Bologna’s dismissed areas can be “cultural reclame” during that lapse of time between the moment when the area falls into disuse and its final reconversion.
First step is to get the area cleaned and light it up; only afterwards, when the place is completally safed, we can get through scenographic and artistical achievement which will characterize part of the area giving to it a new life.
It is important to clarify that, to Planimetrie Culturali, it is unrelevant to settle itself in particular place for a non specific length, as a matter of fact, this project wants to get through and “reclame” all the neighbourhoods and similars in Bologna. At the beginning, it is also important to set up a span of time for letting the project develop itself, so that it will be possible to start yelding results.
INTERVENTION’S RECIPIENTS: the transversal target.
“Cultural resume” recipients are divided into three categories:
- Planimetrie Culturali mainly addresses itself to the city. Its main purpose is to give those non-places, most of the times dangerous, slummy and abandoned areas, back to their citizens.
- Planimetrie Culturali also addresses to cultural associations which keep on looking for places where they can finally work and have the chance to give visibility to their projects.
- Planimetrie Culturali wants to reach a transversal target, regardless age or social rank, considering diversity and mixture of genres as fundamental values and a boundless treasure.
EXPECTED RESULTS: “Cultural resume” in progress.
- Getting creative works out of dismissed urban areas, approachable by everyone.
- Answering to a constant demand for communicative areas, where ideas and projects can be fullfilled.
- Representing a meeting point for young people from the neighborhood by hosting daily activities and services.
- Adding a new experience to our “cultural resume” route.